Saturday, May 12, 2012

When life gives you motorbike accidents, make cupcakes!

Chocolate whiskey cupcakes with fluffy vegan buttercream
It was rainy, very rainy on Friday morning. So rainy, that it came as only a muted surprise to me when I recieved a phonecall at 8.15am informing me that R had fell off his motorbike on his way to work.
Thank Goodness, he was wearing all his bike gear and waterproofs, so bar a bit of whiplash where he hit his head too hard off the road, he had nary a scratch on him and was more shocked than anything else.
The age-old remedy for shock is something sweet.


 So once we etablished he was ok - it was the bike that needed fixing (u_u) - I pulled out my trusty copy of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World and whipped up a batch of simple chocolate cupcakes with Isa and Terry's trademark fluffy vegan buttercream icing on top.
The substitutions I made were as follows:
  • I used wholemeal flour because I genuinely prefer wholemeal flour in chocolatey baking.
  • I used corn oil to give mp cuppies that dark chocolate look.
  • I used chocolate rice milk in place of soya milk. In retrospect, if I was to do this again, I would cut the sugar down by about 2 heaped tablespoons, because the milk is sweetened already and I found the resulting cupcakes good, but tooth-achingly sweet when combined with the icing.
  • I replaced the 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract prescribed in the recipe for whiskey extract - as another remedy for shock, is reputedly alcohol! (n_n)
These cupcakes went down extremely well with all in the house. A well-deserved treat for all under the circumstances.
And as R had survived unscathed, I felt it only right to make Evel Knievel cupcake toppers - as once the concern passes, it is only right for the gentle mocking to begin...
Which leads me to:

The Skint Vegan Top Tip of the Day:
Cupcake toppers are a cheap, simple yet effective way to personalise your cupcakes to the intended recipient. Half an hour spent printing out some suitable images, gluing them onto card for reinforcement and then cutting-out and attaching my little banners to cocktail sticks with some sellotape leads to a visually striking adornment. I think you will agree, with minimum effort my toppers have come a long way...  (-_o)








3 comments:

  1. Oh, so glad to hear that R is okay - but seriously so frightening! I think poking fun is the best way for people *not* involved in something like that to get over their own shock. That, and chocolate-booze cupcakes, of course. These look really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the injuries were minimal. They look ace! I love a cake topper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, girls, for your kind thoughts! Obviously, had things turned out differently I might have been making cupcakes for the paramedics... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Keep it polite, keep it clean, if you get nasty I'll delete unseen... :)